2016 Chili Open charities
Each year the Rotary Club of Strongsville selects about 10 deserving charities to receive funds raised by the Chili Open.
This year's selected charities are:
- Applewood Centers
- Applewood Centers is a leader in improving the lives of children in Ohio by providing high quality behavioral healthcare and out-of-home services for children and their families. Services offered include: counseling, psychological testing and assessment, psychiatry, foster care, residential services, and The Gerson School, offering alternative educational experiences for students who have not found success in a traditional school setting.
- Camp Cheerful
- Founded in 1940 by four Rotarians Camp Cheerful's mission is "To enable and empower children with disabilities and their families to grow, learn, play and prepare for lifelong achievement in society." The camp experience is far more than simply "recreational", it provides an educational, wellness and socialization outlet for campers with disabilities — one that is not often available to them.
- Cornerstone of Hope
- Cornerstone of Hope is dedicated to providing support, education, and hope for the grieving. Cornerstone is the only agency in these areas offering comprehensive and professionally-led grief support services such as counseling, art therapy, support groups, memorial services, holiday programs, in-school assistance, educational seminars, community outreach, a resource library, family workshops, day and overnight camps, and much more.
- Far West Center
- Far West Center shines a light of hope on those coping with the impact of mental illness on daily life. Our mission is to strengthen individuals, families and the community through culturally relevant behavioral healthcare services, advocacy and education. We provide services for persons with severe mental illness and their caregivers, as well as persons at-risk of developing serious mental health problems.
- Hanson House
- HansonHouse Traumatic Brain Injury Clubhouse is the first program in Ohio based upon the true Clubhouse model of community re-entry for people with traumatic brain injury. At the present time we reach approximately 200+ people in Northern Ohio, with some kind of service, while intensively engaging a smaller group with weekly services in the Berea area. There are many TBI survivors, but currently only one Ohio organization that operates on the Clubhouse model. Because of this we have a wait list and a process to candidate for formal membership.
- Hope For Honduran Children
- The Hope for Honduran Children Foundation was established to help provide a nurturing environment for children ravaged by conditions of extreme poverty in Central America. In addition to supporting them with food, clothing, shelter, medical care and education, our ultimate goal is to instill the desire and provide the necessary tools for these children to become self-sufficient, caring, and responsible adults.
- Mission Possible
- Near Masatepe, Nicaragua, there is an area known as La Chureca. La Chureca surrounds itself with a city dump. The mission is to build a preschool for the 30-40 children, ages 3-5, that attend preschool in the current structure. In 2013, it was just black plastic sheeting for walls and sticks to hold it upright. There is a large pit behind the school, some 12-15 feet deep, which is the current latrine.
- Neighborhood Alliance
- Neighborhood Alliance has been compassionately caring for the community since 1927. We are helping our community grow stronger by caring for our clients' most basic needs. We provide emergency shelter, daily meal delivery, emergency home repair and nutrition services for seniors, childcare and child enrichment programs, access to wellness programs such as Help Me Grow for those in need.
- New Avenues to Independence
- The mission of New Avenues to Independence is to provide opportunities for people with disabilities and special needs to become more independent and productive members of society by offering the highest quality support services and developing innovative and inclusive programs.